This learning guide is for SCO personnel who may interact with U.S. or host nation media in the course of their official duties overseas.
This learning guide was developed by
DISCS as a ready reference for SCOs and related DoD personnel to provide guidance for media questions or interviews.
- Lesson 1 – Course Introduction. Includes an “ambush interview” with an unprepared SCO.
- Lesson 2 – Key Policies and Key Players. Discusses freedom of the press, the essentials of DoD public affairs policy, relationship between the U.S. media and the public, the types of media formats, interacting with the media, and the role of Public Affairs.
- Lesson 3 – Interacting with the Media and Getting the Message Out. Describes and illustrates options and techniques for delivering the message, key aspects of response to a media query, working in concert with the host country, block and bridge technique, and preparation for an interview.
- Lesson 4 – Media Encounter Scenarios. Presents a series of fictional media questions and answers by a SCO, in which the student must choose the best responses. These are presented as knowledge checks.
- Lesson 5 – Interview Redemption. Repeats the “ambush interview” from Lesson 1 but with a SCO who is prepared and ready for the questions.
This learning guide is for reference or professional development only. No certificate is awarded for completion.
This learning guide consists of 30 pages, some of which contain video-based scenarios. It should take no more than 60 minutes to complete.